Thursday, November 8, 2012

Not a Mormon, But . . . .

  • Not a Mormon, But . . . .
  •  
    I am not now nor have I ever been a Mormon, but I do think it is unfortunate that so many evangelical and fundamentalist Christians attack Mitt Romney by saying that he is not a Christian because he is a Mormon. Although I do not defend the Book of Mormon, it is not inconceivable that there could be other gospels of Christ. Indeed, many gospels were written which go back almost to the time of Christ, but they have not been accepted as canonical. The gospel according to Thomas is probably the best known of these and was recently reprinted in a popular edition.

    The very last verse of the gospel according to John is as follows:

    " And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. "

    John 21:25, to give chapter and verse to this quotation, also reminds me of Jorge Luis Borges's famous surmise that " I have always imagined that Heaven will be a kind of library. "

No comments:

Post a Comment